The American Gas Association, founded in 1918, represents more than 200 local energy companies that deliver clean natural gas throughout the United States. There are more than 71 million residential, commercial and industrial natural gas customers in the U.S., of which 92 percent — more than 65 million customers — receive their gas from AGA members. Today, natural gas meets almost one-fourth of the United States' energy needs.
AGA’s vision is to provide clear value to our membership and serve as the indispensible voice, and facilitator, on its behalf in promoting the safe, reliable and cost effective delivery of natural gas to the more than 65 million customers in the American homes and businesses that our membership serves.
The American Gas Association represents companies delivering natural gas to customers to help meet their energy needs. AGA members are committed to delivering natural gas safely, reliably, cost-effectively and in an environmentally responsible way. AGA advocates the interests of its members and their customers, and provides information and services promoting efficient demand and supply growth, and operational excellence, in the safe, reliable and efficient delivery of natural gas.
To further this mission, AGA:
- Focuses on the advocacy of natural gas issues that are priorities for the membership and that are achievable in a cost-effective way;
- Promotes growth in the efficient use of natural gas on behalf of natural gas utilities, and the customers the industry serves, by emphasizing before a variety of audiences the attributes of natural gas as a clean, abundant, efficient and secure energy source that is recognized as part of the solution to the nation’s environmental and energy efficiency goals;
- Encourages, facilitates and assists members in sharing information designed to achieve operational excellence by improving their safety, security, reliability, efficiency, environmental and other performance metrics;
- Assists members in managing and responding to customer energy needs, regulatory trends, natural gas markets, capital markets and emerging technologies; facilitates the identification of, and advocates for, regulatory constructs and business models that provide members the opportunity to remain financially viable, while allowing them to grow;
- Collects, analyzes and disseminates information on a timely basis to opinion leaders, policy makers and the public about the benefits provided by energy utilities and the natural gas industry;
- Encourages the identification, development, commercialization, demonstration and regulatory acceptance of end-use technologies that will allow natural gas applications to successfully compete in the marketplace; and
- Delivers measurable value to AGA members.
Approved September 15, 2009
American Gas Association
400 North Capitol Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001