- Collects, develops and disseminates technical data and information relating to environmental matters.
- Fosters appropriate research related to environmental subject.
- Provides technical support to the Environmental Regulatory Action Committee for Environmental Affairs and related functions of the American Gas Association.
- Identifies research priorities to enhance the safe, reliable and cost–effective delivery of natural gas.
- Sponsors programs, papers and presentations within the industry at related technical symposiums.
- Develops and publishes committee reports and technical papers and provides liaison with and encourage liaison from appropriate national and international industry groups, professional associations and other committees for the exchange of information and technical assistance relative to areas of interest.
- Monitors and reviews Federal legislation, codes, and associated rulemaking activities which affect the industry and are within the committee's scope of activities, and advises the Managing Committee of items of concern.