Robert C. Skaggs, Jr. of NiSource Elected 2010 Chairman of AGA
Other Officers, Board of Directors Elected
Williamsburg, VA – Robert C. Skaggs, Jr., president and CEO of NiSource Inc. in Merrillville, IN today was elected to serve as chairman of the American Gas Association’s (AGA) board of directors for 2010. Mr. Skaggs, a nearly 30-year veteran of the natural gas industry, was elected alongside several other officers during AGA’s annual corporate meeting.
“Bob’s extensive spectrum of knowledge of the industry – from regulatory issues to regional markets to government relations – will prove to be invaluable to AGA in 2010,” said AGA president and CEO David Parker. “In his years leading NiSource, Bob has been a true champion for natural gas, reinforcing how its attributes benefit customers, the environment and the economy every day.”
NiSource is a Fortune 500 company engaged in natural gas transmission, storage and distribution, as well as electric generation, transmission and distribution. NiSource operating companies deliver energy to 3.8 million customers from the Gulf Coast through the Midwest to New England.
Mr. Skaggs was named president of NiSource in October 2004 and added the CEO responsibilities in July 2005. He joined the law department of Columbia Gas Transmission in 1981 and served in various management positions until he became president of Columbia Gas of Ohio and Columbia Gas of Kentucky in 1996. Effective with the November 2000 merger of NiSource and Columbia Energy Group, he added the responsibilities of president of Bay State Gas and Northern Utilities. In December 2001, his role was further expanded to include the duties of president and CEO of the Columbia companies in Pennsylvania, Virginia and Maryland, and was thereafter promoted within NiSource to his current position.
Mr. Skaggs earned a bachelor's degree in economics from Davidson College, a law degree from West Virginia University and a master's degree in business administration from Tulane University.
AGA’s other officers for 2010 will be: First Vice Chairman John W. Somerhalder II, Chairman, President & CEO of AGL Resources (Atlanta, GA.); Second Vice Chairman Nick Stavropoulos, Executive Vice President, U.S. Gas Distribution of National Grid (Waltham, MA); Immediate Past Chairman Thomas E. Skains, Chairman, President and CEO of Piedmont Natural Gas Co., Inc. (Charlotte, NC).
AGA Board of Directors Elected
The following executives will serve on the AGA Board of Directors in 2010. An asterisk (*) shows those newly elected to three-year terms (Jan., 1, 2010 – Dec. 31, 2012), while the others continue their service. Their names, titles, companies and corporate headquarters follow:
- Robert W. Best, chairman, president and CEO, Atmos Energy Corp. (Dallas, TX)
- Lawrence T. Borgard, president and COO, Utilities, Integrys Energy Group (Chicago, IL)
- Kevin Burke, chairman, president and CEO, Consolidated Edison, Inc. (New York, NY
- *Scott A. Cisel, president and CEO, Ameren Illinois Utilities (Peoria, IL)
- *Randall L. Crawford, president, midstream & distribution and SVP, EQT Corp., EQT Corp. (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Kenneth W. DeFontes, Jr., president and CEO, Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. (Baltimore, MD)
- Niel C. Ellerbrook, chairman and CEO, Vectren Corp (Evansville, IN)
- David R. Emery, chairman, president and CEO, Black Hills Corp. (Rapid City, SD)
- Benjamin G. Fowke, president and COO, Xcel Energy Inc. (Minneapolis, MN)
- Michael I. German, president, CEO and Director, Corning Natural Gas Corp. (Corning, NY)
- David L. Goodin, president and CEO, MDU Utilities Group. (Bismarck, ND)
- *William D. Harvey, chairman, president and CEO, Alliant Energy (Madison, WI)
- Chris Hermann, senior vice president, energy delivery, E.ON U.S. (Louisville, KY)
- Robert T. Howard, vice president, Gas T&D, PG&E Corp. (San Francisco, CA)
- Glenn R. Jennings, chairman, president and CEO, Delta Natural Gas Company, Inc. (Winchester, KY)
- Ronald W. Jibson, president and CEO, Questar Gas Co. (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Gregg S. Kantor, president and CEO, NW Natural (Portland, OR)
- Ralph A. LaRossa, president and COO, Public Service Electric & Gas Co. (Newark, NJ)
- Terry D. McCallister, president and COO, Washington Gas Light Co. (Washington, DC)
- David M. McClanahan, president and CEO, CenterPoint Energy (Houston,TX)
- James T. McManus, II, chairman and CEO, Energen Corp. (Birmingham, AL)
- Carl E. Meyer, president and COO, Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corp. (Poughkeepsie, NY)
- Scott Morris, chairman, president and CEO, Avista Corp (Spokane, WA)
- Jerry Norcia, president and COO, MichCon, DTE Energy (Detroit, MI)
- Denis O’Brien, president and CEO, PECO Energy (Philadelphia, PA)
- Debra L. Reed, president and CEO, SDG&E and SoCalGas, Sempra Energy utilities (San Diego, CA)
- Stephen P. Reynolds, president and CEO, Puget Energy (Bellevue, WA)
- John G. Russell, president and COO, Consumers Energy (Jackson, MI)
- Jeffrey W. Shaw, chief executive officer, Southwest Gas Corp. (Las Vegas, NV)
- David F. Smith, president and CEO, National Fuel Gas Company (Williamsville, NY)
- Russ M. Strobel, chairman, president and CEO, Nicor Inc. (Naperville, IL)
- Gary Sypolt, CEO, Dominion Energy, Dominion Resources, Inc. (Richmond, VA)
- *Daniel E. Watson, president and CEO, SourceGas LLC (Lakewood, CO)
- John L. Walsh, president and COO, UGI Corp. (King of Prussia, PA)
- Douglas H. Yaeger, chairman, president and CEO, The Laclede Group, Inc. (St. Louis, MO)
The ex-officio (not elected) director for 2010 will be:
Laurence M. Downes, chairman and CEO, New Jersey Resources (Wall, N.J.)
# # #
The American Gas Association, founded in 1918, represents more than 200 local energy companies that deliver clean natural gas throughout the United States. There are more than 71 million residential, commercial and industrial natural gas customers in the U.S., of which 92 percent — more than 65 million customers — receive their gas from AGA members. Today, natural gas meets almost one-fourth of the United States' energy needs.