At A Glance
Natural Gas is An Essential Part of America's Energy Mix
Natural gas supplies nearly one-fourth of all of the energy used in the United States.
Nationwide Delivery System
- Natural gas is delivered to customers through a safe, sound, 2.4-million mile underground pipeline system that includes:
- 2.1 million miles of local utility distribution pipes; and
- 300,000 miles of transmission lines.
Where Does Natural Gas Come From?
- Most of the natural gas consumed in the United States is produced in the U.S. Canada provides much of the rest.
- 33 states are now producing or have produced natural gas.
- In Alaska, huge quantities of natural gas found in the North Slope region are only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the states total natural gas resources, but these supplies will remain stranded there until an Alaskan natural gas pipeline is built.
Natural gas is the cleanest and most efficient fossil fuel.
- Domestic natural gas supplies are abundant.
- The extensive 2.1 million-mile underground natural gas delivery system has an outstanding safety record.
- Regardless of the weather, you can depend on your natural gas utility to bring you America's best energy value.
- Natural gas provides environmental benefits: increased use gas can help address several environmental concerns simultaneously, including smog, acid rain and greenhouse gas emissions.
Natural gas utilities are important to the nation and its economy.
- Find out about natural gas in all 50 states.
- Natural gas utilities operate and maintain more than 2.1 million miles of safe, efficient underground pipes -- an energy delivery system that is the envy of the world.
Your natural gas utility is your neighbor and your trusted energy partner.
- Gas utilities serve more than 68 million residential customers and more than 5 million commercial enterprises.
- Your local gas utility has an investment in and a commitment to your community. Many gas utilities have been serving their customers for more than a century.
- Natural gas utilities are innovative and reliable, providing customers with a variety of services, products and -- most important -- America's best energy value.