ANSI B109 Family of Standards
For Gas Displacement Meters and Service Regulators
The AGA / ASC B109 Committee oversees the development and maintenance of consensus standards related to gas meters and service regulators.
Currently, there are four separate standards that have achieved recognition by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI):
- B109.1 Diaphragm-Type Gas Displacement Meters (Under 500 Cubic Feet Per Hour Capacity)
- B109.2 Diaphragm-Type Gas Displacement Meters (500 Cubic Feet Per Hour Capacity and Over)
- B109.3 Rotary-Type Gas Displacement Meters
- B109.4 Self-Operated Diaphragm-Type Natural Gas Service Regulators for Nominal Pipe Size 1-1/4 Inches (32 mm) and Smaller with Outlet Pressures of 2 psi (13.8 kPa) and Less
Purchase a copy of each standard in the AGA Publication Store.
View the latest B109 Committee Roster.
Please contact Luis Escobar at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in becoming a member or observer of ANSI B109, or if you would like to be part of the review process for any of the standards above.
Submitting Proposed Changes:
The ANSI B109 Standards are under continuous maintenance therefore anyone may propose changes to the standards at any time. Each change will be considered by the B109 Committee at their next meeting, and may be referred to a standard-specific task group for their review and recommendation before the next B109 Committee meeting.
- 2022 Fall Committee Meeting. The B109 Committee will meet on Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim CA in conjunction with the 2022 AGA Operations Section Fall Committee Meetings. The meeting agenda will be posted in August 2022.
- [CLOSED] Comment Period: Scope Revision. AGA has submitted revisions to the scope of the accreditiation on file with ANSI for the B109 committee. The revised scope is as follows: "Accredited Standards Committee B109 is responsible for the development and maintenance of standards for gas meters, gas service regulators and related devices that are used in the revenue measurement of fuel gas. For both new types and newly constructed meters and service regulators, these standards include: definitions, construction criteria, performance criteria, test methods, in-service performance criteria, installation requirements/practices, and equipment." Please submit any comments or questions by July 11, 2022 to Luis Escobar, email@example.com.
- Published. ANSI approved the revised B109.4 Standard on October 22, 2021 (announcement on page 28 of the October 19th ANSI Standards Action newsletter). The standard now addresses regulator slam-shuts, including slam-shut test procedures and marking requirements. ANSI B109.4-2021 was added to the AGA publication store on November 24, 2021 and is now available for purchase.
- New Standards Project. AGA submitted a Project Initiation Notification (PINS) to ANSI for the development of a new standard: BSR B109.6-202x, Single Path Ultrasonic Gas Meters (Under 1400 Cubic Feet Per Hour Capacity). Directly and materially affected interests wishing to receive more information or to submit comments must contact Luis Escobar (firstname.lastname@example.org) by December 12, 2021. Read the announcement in the November 12, 2021 edition of the ANSI Standards Action.
- B109 Committee Fall 2021 Meeting. The committee will meet virtually on Wednesday, September 29, 2021 from 1:00 - 4:00 pm Eastern Time. The Agenda is posted here. The meeting was open to all. For more information see the Draft Minutes.
- [CLOSED] ANSI Public Review: B109.4 Standard. The Revision Draft of the B109.4 Standard (Self-Operated Diaphragm-Type Natural Gas Service Regulator for nominal pipe size 1-1/4 inches and smaller with outlet pressures of 2 psi and less) is available for review and comment. Public comments are due to email@example.com by August 23, 2021 and must be submitted on this Public Comment Form. No public comments were received.
- B109 Committee Spring 2021 Meeting. The committee met virtually on Thursday, June 3, 2021 from 1:00 - 4:00 pm Eastern Time. The Agenda is available here; connection infor is located at the top of the first page. The meeting is open to all. For more information see the Draft Minutes.
- B109 Committee Fall 2020 Meeting. The committee met virtually on Thursday, November 5, 2020 from 1:00 - 4:00 pm Eastern Time. Meeting minutes available here (approved at Spring 2021 meeting on June 3, 2021). The committee will vote to approve these Draft Minutes at its Spring 2021 meeting, date TBD. Please check back here for a date.
- [CLOSED] Nominations For Open Committee Positions. We are soliciting nominations to fill two open positions in the User interest category (gas utilities, consumers, gas transmission companies). If you are interested in joining the B109 Committee, please contact Luis Romeo Esobar, B109 Committee Secretariat, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations are due by December 11, 2020.
- New Standards Project. AGA submitted a Project Initiation Notification (PINS) to ANSI for the development of a new standard: BSR B109.5-202x, Self-Operated Diaphragm-Type Natural Gas Service Regulators for Nominal Pipe Size Up To 2 Inches (50.8 mm). Directly and materially affected interests wishing to receive more information or to submit comments must contact Luis Escobar (email@example.com) by June 26, 2020. Read the announcement in the May 29, 2020 edition of the ANSI Standards Action.
- Revised B109 Committee Procedures. In May 2020, the committee updated our patent policy to bring it into alignment with the latest version of the ANSI Essential Requirements. Read the ANSI B109 Procedures here.
History of the Development of ANSI B109:
- 1967 (January) – Project scope approved by ANSI Mechanical Standards Board
- 1967 (November) – Organizational meeting of ANSI Committee B109
- 1973 (November) – First edition of B109.1 Standard approved by ANSI
- 1980 (April) – First editions of B109.2 and B109.3 Standards approved by ANSI, as well as addenda to B109.1-1973
- 1987 – Second editions of B109.1, B109.2, and B109.3 approved by ANSI
- 1990 (April) – Revised committee scope approved by ANSI, now includes standard coverage for gas service regulators
- 1992 – Third editions of B109.1, B109.2, and B109.3 Standards approved by ANSI
- 1998 (April) – First edition of B109.4 approved by ANSI
- 2008 (April) – Reaffirmation of B109.1, B109.2, B109.3 and B109.4 approved by ANSI
- 2016 (December) – Second edition of B109.4 approved by ANSI
- 2019 (February) – revised B109.3 approved by ANSI
- 2019 (April) – revised B109.1 approved by ANSI
- 2020 (March) – revised B109.2 approved by ANSI