America’s Natural Gas Utilities Add One New Customer Every Minute
2018 AGA Playbook Debuts Fresh Data and New Digital Features
Washington, D.C. – Natural gas utilities add an average of one new customer every minute nationwide, according to the 2018 American Gas Association (AGA) Playbook released today. In addition to fresh data and graphics which make the AGA Playbook an indispensable guide to natural gas industry in the United States, the 2018 edition has new digital features including:
- By The Numbers which track activities by natural gas utilities in real time, including consumption across all sectors in the United States.
- A multi-layer, interactive map which contains information on natural gas supply, state-based infrastructure modernization programs and more.
“America’s natural gas utilities seek energy policies that reflect reality,” said Dave McCurdy, AGA’s President and CEO. “The AGA Playbook sets forth a common set of facts about our energy use and its implications. It chronicles the customer growth we are seeing as more Americans seek the comfort and affordability of natural gas and provides context for the necessary, fact-based conversations that are taking place throughout the nation about how we can expand our natural gas infrastructure to deliver these benefits to more customers that want them. It also provides valuable information about the exceptional work being done to enhance the safety and reliability of our nation’s 2.5 million miles of natural gas pipelines. The AGA Playbook belongs on the desk of every policymaker and every industry leader that is looking to understand the decisions we must make as a nation to secure our energy future.”
In the 2018 AGA Playbook you will learn that America’s natural gas utilities:
- Invest $700 to help enhance the safety of natural gas distribution and transmission systems every second
- Install two miles of pipeline every hour
- Devote $4 million to energy efficiency programs every day
The American Gas Association, founded in 1918, represents more than 200 local energy companies that deliver clean natural gas throughout the United States. There are more than 75 million residential, commercial and industrial natural gas customers in the U.S., of which 95 percent — more than 71 million customers — receive their gas from AGA members. Today, natural gas meets more than three-tenths of the United States' energy needs.