What To Know About Winter Storms
AGA is closely monitoring Winter Storm Igna sweeping through the Northeast and South.
Natural gas utilities are working to ensure the safety of customers, employees and the public, and it is important for anyone impacted by winter storms to remember these safety tips:
- Never use natural gas appliances, such as a stove, oven or grill to heat homes or businesses.
- Ensure that outdoor vent openings and air intakes are not obstructed by snow or ice.
- Never use a shovel or hard object to remove snow from a natural gas meter. Avoid damage by using a brush or broom. Call your local utility if the meter is encased in ice.
- Natural gas is odorized to smell like rotten eggs. If you smell it, be sure to leave your house immediately and call 9-1-1 or your local gas utility from a safe location.
- Know what’s below. Call 8-1-1 before digging into the ground for any reason.