Gas Facts: 2021 in Review
- Estimated working gas capacity in underground storage was 4,595 Bcf, with a total deliverability of 115,240 MMcf per day.
- The United States imported 2.8 trillion cubic feet of natural gas in 2021, primarily from Canada.
- The United States exported 6.7 trillion cubic feet of natural gas in 2021, primarily to Mexico and Canada.
- The U.S. natural gas industry had 2.62 million miles of pipeline — including distribution, services, transmission, and gathering lines — in place in 2021.
- Gas utility sales increased 7.2 percent in 2021 to 7,883 trillion Btu.
- Residential sales increased 7.5 percent from 2020 levels.
- Commercial sales increased 13.6 percent.
- Industrial sales increased 8.8 percent.
- The average retail natural gas price increased 28.4 percent in 2021 compared to 2020.
- The average residential price increased 17.8 percent.
- Average commercial prices increased 22.0 percent.
- Average industrial prices increased 71.9 percent.
See more data below: